Did you know that the Northern Catskills is flowing with breweries and wineries? Oh yes it is! A great way to experience them will be this April during TAP New York! It's a wonderful weekend getaway from Gotham. Get on it. I'll be there, will you?! See you there!
Spring in the Catskills is a time to toast the changing seasons with new brews at the Catskills’ premier beer festival, and at the microbreweries, tasting rooms, and wineries tucked amid the lush landscape of the Great Northern Catskills of Greene County.
When the ice thaws, the beer flows like wine during TAP New York at Hunter Mountain – the festival for beer lovers. More than 90 breweries from across the Empire State gather for two days, , to sample a substantial number of beers from the hundreds of options ontap. Prizes are awarded for the Best Craft Brewery in NYS, and Best Craft Brewery in the Hudson Valley, and participants can enjoy food pairings and live music.
Or, take your beer tasting buds on a hoppy road trip – use a DD please – and sample the region’s crop of new bevvies from microbreweries and wineries, including:
- Cave Mountain Brewery Company in Windham has a few accolades to its name, including “Best Brewery” and “Best Burger,” in addition to the distinction of being the area’s first microbrewery. So, add trendsetter to the above. Stop in for the wide variety of hand-crafted brews, great food, and chill atmosphere.
- Hammo’s Brew Pub & Lounge in Hensonville is brand spanking new, and the microbrews on tap pair perfectly with the restaurant’s “five diverse riffs on mac & cheese,” because, why not? Chicken and biscuits and a Col. Zadock IPA, please.
- Angela’s Pizzeria & Brewery home of the Rip Van Winkle Brewing Company in Catskill is the sum of all that is holy in beer and pizza. A micro-selection of six world-class microbrews pair with the restaurant’s authentic Italian-American cuisine.
- Honey Hollow Brewing Co. in Earlton produces small-batch ales made entirely with New York State-sourced ingredients. A sub-nano, do-it-ourselves farm brewery, the folks at Honey Hollow use hops from their garden, which doubles as their tasting room. It’s perfectly pastoral.
- Crossroads Brewing Company in Athens is the home of a TAP NY’s “Best Brewery in the Hudson Valley” award, and a “Best India Pale Ale in New York,” so they’re pretty legit. Ten craft brews, NYS wines, and a menu of locally sourced meats, produce, and cheese from farms in the Hudson Valley pair perfectly with their Great American Beer Festival win from a few years ago.
- Hudson-Chatham Winery in Tannersville is the new wine bar from the oft-lauded, award-winning winery whose wines have been featured in every vino mag around.
- Windham Vineyards & Winery in Windham offers flights of wines in a recently renovated location within après ski distance of Windham Mountain.
The Catskills are part of New York State’s growing agritourism industry, and a must-visit for anyone looking to expand their palate and enjoy the delights of the harvest: hop, grape, and grain!